Wednesday, April 17, 2013

The Plan

   Surgery went well and now we are hopeful for a speedy recovery.  After I have healed my surgeon will give us the green light to begin treatment for the invasive cancer.

   As I said in my last post we went to see an oncologist.  I have been sitting on this information waiting for it to sink in. Here it goes.  The tumor came back as HER 2 +, which is a very fast growing, aggressive type of cancer.  In the past the prognosis was for this diagnosis was not very good.  Luckily for us there is a new drug specifically for HER 2 + cancer.  This drug is called Herceptin and it has only been available for 6 years. Because of this drug the prognosis is very good.

   The treatment plan also includes two different types of chemo.  Every three weeks I will go and have an infusion of chemo/herceptin.  I will need 6 doses of chemo, but a whole year of herceptin.  I don't know what to expect and am worried about being sick.  The doctor has explained that the chemo will wipe me out and I shouldn't expect to do much for a week after infusion.  Nausea is to be expected.  And yes I will lose my hair.  I recently cut it, I want to have control over the amount of hair I lose and I will probably just shave it off when it starts to fall out.  Those clippers I bought at Costco last year are going to come in handy.  We are estimating that this will all begin the first or second week of May.

1 comment:

Brazenlilly said...

I can't get over how drastically your life has changed in the matter of weeks. And I can't get over what an amazingly, strong woman of faith you are. I KNOW you will have bad days, weak days, awful weeks. But I also KNOW the God you serve will never leave you, and has for some reason allowed this in your life, and will use it for His glory. Love you tons, friend! Praying for you daily.